Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 76

Thread: what is driving your altecs?

  1. #31
    Hostboard Member Fran604g's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2006
    Posts
    77
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I use a TAD-60 or an Adcom GFA-555 for power amps, depending on the music and desired volume.

    My 604-8G's are in model 18 cabinets and I use external Jeff Markwart xovers a'la Billfort motor run oil caps.

    Wish I could post pics, but I'm not that smart. forums

  2. #32
    Hostboard Member Fran604g's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2006
    Posts
    77
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by O G:
    I'm embarrassed by all you guys- right now I just have an old Harmon Kardon 70's vintage receiver... when I get it benched I am switching to a mint condition Heath AR-1500 I got for 30 bucks at the flea market.

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7/AR-1500A.jpg

    Just old garden variety 846b's with some tuning.

    For what I listen to- mostly Blues and Blues rock...it wails.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great choice IMO, I drove my 604's for years with one that my Dad and I built in the early 70's.

    I gave it to my oldest son last Christmas and it's still going strong!

  3. #33
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi

    Wow! Many responses! Thanks. I am a little surprised by your responses. I expected that most of you would be driving altecs with Triode, tubes, and etc. Instead, most of you are driving your alects with ss.

    Tim

  4. #34
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If it makes you feel any better, I drive (nearly) all my musical instrument Altecs with tubes. forums

  5. #35
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wicked! Shane has come back! So, tell me more!

    Tim

  6. #36
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Not much to tell.

    1982 JCM 800 50W Marshall split channel lead combo (PP EL34) pushing 4 Altec 417-8HIIs in a 1960 half stack.

    1966 40W Alamo Paragon (PP 5881) head on a Bassman-style Alamo cab with 2 421-8HIIs.

    A pair of 614-size 418B-loaded boxes I drive with whatever DIY project is on the top of the pile. Currently it's a converted Stromberg Carlson AU36, 80W parallel-PP 6L6 quad after a Wurly electric piano.

    On the ss (and slightly buried) side there's a '72 200W Kustom head over a pair of Altec 422-8Zs, and a mid-80s 100W Crate bass combo with a 413.

    That's just what's currently assembled and functional... forums

    Good thing (for the neighbors) I can only play one at a time.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ June 01, 2008 12:54 AM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  7. #37
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So, you're the "poet and one man band." forums Nice stuffs! A Strat, Les Paul, SG, or a flying V?

    Tim

  8. #38
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm playing a slightly forums altered Japanese Epiphone Sheraton II until I finish rebuilding my old Ovation Viper. When I get bored with that, I sit down at a Wurly piano, a Yamaha keyboard or Hammond organ. I inherited my grandpa's old fiddle, and have been trying to master that, but I may be too old a dog to learn that new trick... only time will tell. I had little patience for study and practice when I was a kid, and even less now. I'm far from being a pro at any of it, but really enjoy it a lot. I can come home PO'd at the world and spitting nails, but 20 minutes at the keyboard and I'm grinning like a baked possum. Playing music is one of the few things I've found that gives back more than it takes.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ June 01, 2008 10:05 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  9. #39
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My playing makes me happy now, so why ruin a good thing by going public only to inevitably have someone tell me it suks. Ignorance CAN be bliss! forums

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ June 02, 2008 06:32 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  10. #40
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My listening space is 21.5' x 15' x 8' and the ceiling is sloped on two ends. Acoustics are excellent. I have . . .
    A700 mains powered by Altec 1269
    A700XLF subs powered by Altec 9444A
    Center channel is a custom built and loaded with a CD408-8A. Surrounds are model 312 with Model 4 stacked on top. The center and surrounds are powered by Altec 1268. Eq is presently by Altec programmable equalizers. The receiver is a Kenwood. The hole at the top of my rack is where my turntable usually resides. The cables on the coffe table let me patch in my laptop or iPod.
    8

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.